Monday, May 11, 2009

short story 3

I don’t know why he’s been acting like this. He always had the biggest, most loving heart. Three years now I’ve been able to enjoy his presence. The melt your heart smile, the big beautiful blue eyes, and baby soft skin. He’s been a bit distant from me lately. The only time I feel happy and loved is when I’m with him. My life revolves around the laughs and smiles we have.
Tonight were going out to dinner to a gorgeous restaurant that takes months to get reservations to. The smell of sauce and garlic fills the air as I wait. Couple after couple walk to their seats as I play with the hot candle wax, and eat the stale bread. The aroma, and the candles both start to fade, and yet, I’m still sitting alone. I’m starting to think that he doesn’t love me anymore, or he just doesn’t care.
The drive home was lonely and I didn’t know where he was or what he was thinking. My thoughts ran wild through my head, and I knew my heart was going to be broken tonight. When I finally got home, I was hesitant about walking up the cobble stone walkway. I reached for the door, and I slowly reached for the handle. The sweat on my hands made it hard for me to turn the knob. I slowly stepped into the house and looked around in the darkness. I called my fiancés name. All I could hear was his sobbing in the kitchen. The house was quieter than usual; even our hyperactive dog was lying down. The first thing into the kitchen was my head. The only thing that was moving was the second hand on the clock. A pin drop could be heard in the silence. I saw him; his head in his hands, and a little puddle of tears on the table. I stood behind him and slowly reached for his shoulder. I could feel his whole body shaking. He turned to me with tear streaked cheeks and bloodshot eyes. No words were exchanged between us. He fell to his knees and hugged me as tight as he could. The blubbering of his words made it hard to understand what he was saying. I couldn’t help but drop a few tears. It took minutes before he got a hold of himself, and he stood up. He looked me in the eyes and hugged me with such passion and he says to me, “We won’t be able to do this once I get shipped to Iraq tomorrow.” The pit of my stomach dropped. He couldn’t even look at me anymore. He let go of me, expressionless and with nothing to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment